Baking soda is an ingredient that can be used in more than just food. A baking soda bath is an efficient detox tool that is safe to use regardless of your age. Today, when there are so many harmful chemicals in your water, food, and even air, detoxification is a procedure that can make you a much healthier person.
Note that if performed incorrectly, detox can harm you to some extent. Therefore, it’s very important to do a lot of research and develop a detoxification program that will be safe and effective for you personally.
The best thing about a baking soda bath is that unlike dietary detox programs, it is perfectly safe for you. It is effective due to the chemical property of soda to bind other chemicals. If you take your bath as hot as possible, you will sweat profusely and the soda in the water will draw the toxins that plague your body to the surface of your skin. When the bath begins to cool down, these harmful chemicals will be pulled out through your pores as water will try to draw out your energy to restore the temperature balance between itself and your heated body.
Why Take a Baking Soda Detox Bath?
There are several popular recipes for detoxification baths, and some of them are more appealing as they are better scented and generally seem more pleasant. However, being odorless and colorless is actually more of an advantage. Baking soda doesn’t leave a residue on your body or on the tub.
If you add essential oils to your bath, they can leave an unpleasant film on top of your skin. If you have any open wounds on your body, this can be dangerous as it can get infected. On the other hand, baking soda is actually good for irritated skin as it removes bacteria that cause the problem in the first place. Its effect is mild but potent enough to make a significant difference in your state. Its complete safety, even to those with most sensitive skin, is proven by the fact that adding baking soda in bath water is one of the advisable treatments for diaper rash.
Other important benefits of a baking soda detox bath are:
- Relieves pain from vaginal yeast infection, skin disorders (acne, furunculosis, etc.), anal fissure, hemorrhoids, and irritation or rash on your skin.
- Neutralizes acids you consume with foods (cheese, red meats, processed foods, and sugar).
- Makes bath water alkaline, which ensures that your skin will feel like silk when you are finished.
How to Take a Detox Bath with Baking Soda
There are several recipes for this type of bath, but before you try them, you must learn what precautions to take in order to ensure that this procedure is safe.
- If you are pregnant or suffer from high blood pressure, consult your doctor before you start this therapy.
- Keep the water temperature at a comfortable level. This will reduce the risk of burning and fainting.
- If you take drugs or alcohol, be very careful as the risk of fainting during the procedure is extremely high. Its detoxification effect can help you sober up faster, but you should have someone with you in the bathroom to prevent accidents.
Here are a few recipes you can try:
- Take 4-5 tablespoons of baking soda and dissolve them in a tub filled with warm water (use a wooden spoon).Soak for no longer than 20 minutes, but no less than 10 and gently pat yourself dry.
Don’t take a shower after the procedure. If you need to, do this beforehand or simply dry scrub yourself with a sponge to remove dead skin cells. This will facilitate the process of cleansing.
- Mix half a cup of baking soda and a cup of Epsom salt. Add them to your bath water while it’s still running to ensure the salt dissolves well. Water should be hot for this type of bath, but don’t overdo it to prevent fainting.Soak for about 20 minutes. Dry yourself and lie down for at least half an hour. This will help deal with the dizziness that might occur.
- Take a jar filled with boiled water and dissolve a quarter of a cup each of baking soda, Epsom salt, and sea salt in it. If you want to promote release of toxins, you can also add some brewed peppermint tea to the mix.Fill your tub with warm (or hot if you feel comfortable with it) water and pour 1/3 cup of apple vinegar into it. Add the salt-soda mixture and stir.
Soak for as long as you want. Usually, 30 minutes is the best for this type of detox bath. This recipe is good for skin irritations.