The human digestive system is very sensitive; it’s normal to experience unpleasant reactions from time to time. In the majority of the cases, this is not something you should bother with as the heavy feeling and a bit of nausea after eating can be caused by consuming too much food too fast.
However, sometimes this can be a symptom of a dangerous disease that you need to treat immediately. It’s always best to see a doctor if you feel nauseous on a regular basis.
Nausea is a feeling of uneasiness in your stomach that can occur for many reasons. If you experience it right after consuming a meal, the possible causes for this condition are:
- Acid reflux – This reflux occurs when the ring of muscle that separates your stomach from your esophagus (esophageal sphincter) cannot close as tightly as it should. This allows some particles of food and your stomach acid to rise up and flow back into your esophagus. Nausea after eating and sour taste in your mouth are indicators of this condition. If left untreated, it can result in an ulcer or infection.
- Pregnancy – There are several reasons that can make you feel nauseous at different times during your pregnancy. The vast majority of women experience it on a regular basis during the first few months of their pregnancies. Vomiting occurs in 25-55% of cases.You must consult a doctor about the unusual conditions you should be ready for. This way, you will know when you need to seek medical assistance in case the nausea lasts too long or occurs during times when it shouldn’t. Be sure to stick to a healthy diet as your body will be under a great deal of stress. Indulging in heavy and unhealthy foods can be really dangerous.
- Anxiety and stress – Stress can have an affect on your digestive system. This is why this particular part of your body is the first to show the negative side effects of this condition.Vomiting and dry heaves caused by your emotional upheaval aren’t dangerous, but it can be a sign of a fast approaching ulcer.
- Medication-induced nausea and vomiting – Read all the labels of the medication you take on a regular basis and take note of those that can have these side effects. If you experience it for no obvious reason, you should consult your doctor and stop taking the medication. In case the problem doesn’t go away in a few days, the chance of it being caused by the medication is small. Note that in some cases, like chemotherapy, these symptoms are acceptable side effects. So, you shouldn’t interrupt your treatment.
- Pancreatic cancer – This is the most important reason for you to consult a medical specialist if you experience nausea after eating on a regular basis. Take the tests necessary to ensure that you don’t suffer from this particular disease. Remember, the sooner you find out, the higher your chances to defeat it.
- Bulimia and other eating disorders – Psychological disorders that revolve around eating usually make you feel nauseous or even vomit. These conditions must be treated by qualified medical professionals.
- Ulcers – This is a nasty and potentially dangerous condition that can occur for different reasons. Having ulcers usually require you to follow a strict diet and eat on schedule. Nausea usually occurs if you break these rules.
- Brain tumor – In this case, you might feel nauseous at different times, but the feeling often intensifies after eating. Brain tumors must be treated immediately as they can be fatal.
- Gastroparesis – This condition is characterized by the delayed emptying of your stomach. It often occurs in the people who suffer from diabetes. If you have been diagnosed with this disease, you should consult your doctor for treatment options.
- Food poisoning – This reaction can occur due to allergies or low quality of the food you ate. In any case, if the poisoning has caused vomiting, you need to get medical attention immediately. The doctors will be able to remove the toxic substance from your stomach before they cause any more damage.
Many people dismiss slight nausea as irrelevant, but this can be a huge mistake. The only time when you should overlook this issue is after you’ve just finished consuming a huge meal. Overeating isn’t good for your body, but it shouldn’t have any lasting side effects. However, if you feel nauseous on a regular basis, it is imperative that you consult a doctor.
There are many effective methods of treatment for this problem, but they will work only if you know the reason that causes it in the first place.